Mold is not only hazardous but can also be extremely damaging to both residential and commercial properties. Mold can occur anywhere there is excess moisture, including inside walls, attics, basements and crawlspaces, and if it is left to grow it can harm the health of you and your family.
UNDERSTANDING THE DANGERS OF MOLD
All types of mold are dangerous for both humans and pets. Mold is caused by excessive levels of moisture in the air. That excessive moisture can be caused by a steaming shower, leaking pipe or high humidity levels in your home due to improper ventilation. When building materials remain wet or there is excessive humidity in your home, mold can begin to develop and eventually lead to wood rot. Eventually the mold goes from spores in the air to visible colonies. This process can take place over an extended period of time or in as little as just a few hours.
SIGNS YOU HAVE A MOLD PROBLEM
If you’ve recently had a water leak, excessive levels of humidity or flooding in your home, there’s a good chance you have mold. Mold can grow on anything from wood framing to drywall and furniture. Mold can even grow in carpet. Here are some signs you should look out for:
- Condensation in windows, doorframes and interior walls
- Black spots between and under bathroom and kitchen tiles
- Staining on walls, floors or ceiling tiles
- Basement or crawlspace is frequently damp
- Musty or moldy smells
HEALTH PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH MOLD
Excessive mold can contribute to sick building syndrome, especially if the mold spores are being circulated through your HVAC system and air ducts. Children and the elderly are most susceptible to the health effects of mold. However, individuals with lung issues and difficulty breathing can also experience problems when mold is present. Some symptoms of mold in your home or business may include:
- Frequent sneezing or coughing
- Increase in indoor allergy symptoms
- Increase in sinus congestion and pressure
- Itchy, dry, red or watery eyes
- More frequent asthma attacks
DECREASING THE RISK OF MOLD IN YOUR HOME
There are things you can do to prevent the risk of mold in your home. If your bathroom or kitchen has an exhaust fan, turn them on while using water, taking a shower and cooking. Always clean up any water spills or puddles immediately, and make sure your roof and plumbing are in good condition.
If you notice mold growing on your floors, walls, ceiling or furniture, you will need the help of the professional mold removal experts at Restoration 1. Our team is trained and certified to help guide you through the process of any mold remediation that may be required. We use the highest quality industry practices and equipment to remove mold from your home and ensure that your indoor air is safe for you and your family.
CONTACT RESTORATION 1 OF COLUMBIA
Restoration 1 has built a strong reputation for helping Columbia area homes and businesses clean up mold damage. We know how important it is to move quickly when dealing with mold remediation, and we always provide fast responses to our customers. We are available 24/7, and your satisfaction with our services is 100 percent guaranteed. Contact us today for a free consultation.